Skip to main content

Sublimate the Torpor: Turn it productive

Hello, everybody! How are you all? It's been two days that I have not updated my blog. Well, today I am going to write about my last two/three days. Past two days, literally, I have remained dull and inactive. These two days must be the most inactive days I experienced in past 6 months. I am having free time at home these days as I am on the night shift at my job currently. So, there is not pretty much to do at daytime. I recently appeared GRE and thus have no academics to study too. Now I am planning to take TOEFL test within a month which will complete all the tests that I need to appear in order to apply to colleges of USA. So, just ruminating on how to utilize my leisure time, I thought to build up myself for TOEFL. One aspect of mine I really need to improve is my English-speaking. So, I decided to watch some Hollywood movies which could help me develop my speaking, listening abilities as well as can help me improve my ascent.

These few days, I watched few movies plus an episode of a TV series and few TED Talks on YouTube. I came to know from Magoosh that regularly listening to English can improve our listening and provide fluency in speaking too. Magoosh is an online institution that helps candidates prepare for various tests like GRE, TOEFL, IELTS etc.  In fact, they are arguably the best online institution for these kinds of test preparation. So, taking their advice, I planned to watch movies and TED Talks on daily basis. And since I love watching movies, it was not too hard to greet their advice. I think most of us like watching movies though there are always some exceptions. Many people have their inclination toward a specific genre of movies. I would love to find mine one day though. I like almost all kind of movies and my selection procedure of movie normally depends on the reviews and rating of the movie, even though I don't like my selection procedure. When someone refers me a movie to watch, the first thing I do is check the reviews and rating rather than looking into the genre. If the movie is well rated, then only I will watch it. It's very irksome of me for myself too. Hope I will get rid of this leeway someday.

So let me tell you the movies I watched in these two to three days time. First I watched "Arrival". I was referred to the Arrival by a YouTube video which has a list of top 10 movies of 2016. Then I checked the Arrival's reviews and rating on IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, and Metacritic. I soon figured out from those ratings that this movie is great which in turn was. This was a great movie and a kind of movie which made me think a lot, not to understand the movie but to conceive the world from a specific perspective.  This was a great movie. Then I watched "Hacksaw Ridge". What an awesome movie it was. One of the best I have ever seen. This movie is based on a true story of a medic in US army who refused to use or touch any weapon throughout the war yet turned out to be the hero of war saving hundreds of life and eventually winning the Congressional Medal of Honour, one of the most prestigious awards for any army personnel. Another movie I watched was "Deep Water Horizon". Again a movie on a real life incident. On April 20th,2010, an explosion on the drilling rig in the gulf of Mexico left several board members killed. The movie depicts the situation and portrays the real incidents involved in the explosion very well. "Whiplash" was another movie I saw. This movie shows how the perseverance of a 19-year-old kid eventually made him one the best in the world. I would strongly suggest this movie to every youth out there. "Manchester by the Sea" is another movie to watch. I truly indulged myself in this movie and didn't notice when the movie ended. It makes us think a lot about family, various difficult circumstances of lives and also shows that how we make ourselves fit those circumstances. A truly adorable movie.

Besides these movies, I watched few TED Talks too. Also, I watched 5th episode of National Geographic TV series named "Genius". I believe that these movies and will help me gain a lot. Not only from my test point of view but also with their gravity of the subject matter. These movies will help widen my perspectives and help me develop an analyzing mind. Watching movies is a good way to learn too. So, I am looking forward this month to watch many more movies and continue my blog writing so that I can share my thoughts with you all. Also, I request all to use inactivity state as an opportunity to learn by indulging into something that fascinates. This way in languor, we can remain productive without much effort. It's all for now. See you soon guys. Have fun and keep learning!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brief Background Of Culture of Nepal

Today's Nepal is a unified Nepal. Present Nepal is the result of the unification of 46 smaller kingdoms. This unification was carried by the then His Majesty King Prithvi Narayan Shah. Nepal is lauded worldwide for its remarkable cultural practices. Today we will look how the present art and culture of Nepal came into existence and how its continuous development of took place in various instances of history. Three to four thousands year ago, the Neolithic matriarchal groups of Mongol, China and Bhote entered today's Kathmandu Valley. Since the Kathmandu valley was a lake then, these group settled themselves in the higher region of the hills surrounding the lake. Some of these places were Sankwo(today's Bajrayogini) and Puchwo(today's Phulchowki). The primary means of living were hunting and livestock. They also killed humans for meat. Only after learning the making of pots, these savage group started decreasing their nomadic behavior. Gradually they learn to start

The Commencement

Hello to everyone reading this. On my first ever blog, I just want to tell that I am a guy who loves reading good stuff regardless of any theme and respect all those who have indulged themselves in this art, what I consider noble, of writing either as a profession or for a hobby. Since I like reading and being an avid reader I felt I should also start writing. Whenever I thought of writing I always wanted to share my writing experience too. What else is the better way in today's context than sharing on the web? I can easily reach considerably more people through the web than through any other medium. Hence after searching the internet on writing and sharing, I came to know about blogger. The best part is that it's free! HAHA! Basically, these are the guiding factors why I have started this blog and hope I can write some good texts and share my experience with as many as I can.  Myself being an Engineer professionally I assume that my texts may contain some technical pe

Chapter 2: Footprints

Foot-printing is an art of gathering minute details of the target like IP, OS, Software installed, Security Systems, Location, Owners, Emails, Personal data etc. A hacker gathers all the details needed to break into the system. There are numerous ways to do this and also various tools and tricks available for this. Lets discuss some of them so that we can have some idea of what foot-printing is. Foot-printing can be categorized into two types on the basis of access mode. a) Active Mode b) Passive Mode                                 a) In Active Mode , the attacker makes actual contact with the target system. The active method includes process such as email tracking, website mirror, server confirmation. Email Track : Examine email path from where is email coming, the IP, the path it took. Tools like Email Tracker Pro (Link at bottom) provide such details. these details are used to trace the fake mail's source IP's, location and path. For this tracking, the email he